Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Happy Mother's Day Mom....Zilla

I love my mother and anybody who knows my mother knows she is everything they portray black women to be in media.  No nonsense, tell it like it is, loud, and most of all loving.  So when I was planning my wedding I knew my mother would have a moment.  Our engagement was at least 15 months.  He proposed quite early and I initially planned it so far out to be sure we weren't in the "Everything is good in the beginning" phase as some folks cautioned us against.  That's another story so remind me and him to blog together about that one.  But 15 months was exactly what we needed to plan each and every detail of our wedding.  If you know anything about me you'd know I'm the no frills, keep it simple, late to my own funeral type of girl. So needless to say planning a wedding that's all about the details, the timing, etc was challenging to say the least. I knew I'd never get through it without my mom.  Wasn't that the truth.

My mom, God bless her heart, got on my last nerves in the last few days leading up to my wedding.  First, she didn't want to buy a dress when everybody went and got their dresses.  "I'm going to lose weight.....I have plenty of time.....I'm sure I'll find something easily. I'm the mother. I don't have to dress like anyone so I'll be fine."  I was ok with it. Then the week before the wedding who still didn't have a dress?  Yep you guessed it. My mother!! We were looking high and low and she didn't like ANYTHING.  When I say anything.  Honestly I didn't like anything either but I needed her to have a dress for the wedding.  I was desperate, willing to change her color and everything.  But she managed to pull it out.  Went to the least expected place and found a beautiful dress and she looked beautiful in it!!  I'll post her picture below.

Then 2 nights before the wedding, my mom had a break down.  She'd argue it was my fault because I had her schedule a hair appointment with someone I didn't know.  Then I told her the night before the wedding, I'd made an appointment with my stylist (who couldn't fit the whole bridal party but could see me).  Yep why'd I go do that. My mother was PISSED.  She cursed me out in every language.  Why? "That lady was looking forward to that money."  So! I'm looking forward to my hair being flawless for my wedding & I don't care if her feelings are hurt.  That's the business. Sorry.  Well my mom didn't see it that way.  "I'm not getting my hair done. I can't believe you're being so selfish. I'm not staying at the hotel. My shoes don't match my dress. I'll just meet you at the wedding.........." and on and on and on until she hung up on me.  I didn't care because I wasn't letting that lady SET ME UP on the day before my wedding. Period.  And after my mother had to 'touch up' her curls before the wedding I just laughed and said "I'm glad Tanya did my hair." 

But nothing was more funny and crazy then her having a hissy fit because she was following me and hubby to the hotel & started following another car.......that really didn't look like mine. It was just the same color.  Who got cursed out? Yep ME AND HUBBY.  Why?  Because we should have blown the horn incessantly when we saw her go past us.  I mean this woman can't see at night until it's a shoe or handbag sale!! LOL.  

Ultimately, my mother made it to the hotel and wedding venue and everything went off without a hitch. So the moral of this story is that bridezillas and mom-zillas are nothing more than the same people who they are everyday.  My mother got on my nerves. She cursed me out.  She panicked about every thing.  She also gave me her credit card when I realized I'd lost mine 2 days before the wedding running around getting alterations.  My mother was exactly who she was at any other time, my clutch player. And I wouldn't have it any other way.  I love my Mom.......Zilla! lol


 

1 comment:

  1. Girl..I LOVE IT!!!! Yes she is what mom's suppose to be! HAVE YOUR BACK! Love you AUntie!

    ReplyDelete